I’m excited to run for re-election as SIGSOFT Chair. The past years have been both an important privilege and responsibility that I took very seriously. I launched several efforts to increase the openness and impact of the SE community, for example, initiatives related to diversity and inclusion, empirical standards, and open science.
If elected, my focus will be on improving SIGSOFT activities by:
- Expanding the current diversity and inclusion efforts to further promote diversity in software engineering, for example, through mentorship programs.
- Enhancing conferences. For example, adding a virtual component to physical meetings is an opportunity for the SE community to include people who cannot travel, due to finances, lack of time, or other reasons.
- Strengthening open science efforts by accelerating open access for papers and experimenting with registered reports and open reviews.
- Supporting the professional needs of SIGSOFT members from industry and helping promote computing as a profession.
With my background, I’m in a unique position to contribute to the success of these efforts. My priority is, and always will be, the members of SIGSOFT.
- Sr. Principal Researcher, Microsoft Research, Redmond, WA, USA, 2008 – present
- Affiliate Professor, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA, 2011 – 2020
- Assistant Professor, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada, 2007 – 2008
Areas of Professional Interest
Empirical Software Engineering; Mining Software Repositories; Data Science; Software Productivity; Digital Games
- Chair, ACM SIGSOFT, 2018 – present
- Program Co-Chair, ACM Joint ESEC and FSE Conference (ESEC/FSE), 2020
- General Chair, IEEE/ACM Intl. Conf. on Automated Software Engineering (ASE), 2019
- General Chair, ACM Intl. Conf. on Foundations of Software Engineering (FSE), 2016
Membership and Offices in Related Organizations
- Co-Editor-in Chief, Empirical Software Engineering, 2014 – present
- Steering Committee Chair, International Conference on Mining Software Repositories (MSR), 2014 – present
- Program Co-Chair, Intl. Conf. on Software Maintenance and Evolution (ICSME), China, 2017
- IEEE Fellow, 2021
- ACM Distinguished Member, 2017
- ACM ESEC/FSE Test of Time Award, 2019
- IEEE/ACM ICSE Most Influential Paper Award, 2014